Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Door #1, Door #2 or Door #3?


I've never been a huge fan of traditional game shows.  I enjoy playing trivia and puzzle games, but with friends, not on TV for money (or a life time supply of Rice-A-Roni, the San Fransisco Treat!)

The types of game shows I like are the slightly off...Liars Club or To Tell the Truth, or even Wipeout...Big Balls!

Basically, games with no real talent or skill - no knowledge of trivia, or ability to solve puzzles.

My all time favorite was 'Lets Make a Deal'.  Now before you all go get huffy, and say that in order to play well, you needed to have a general idea of household items and grocery costs, I say 'HA!' You only need to have a ridiculous costume and the ability to physically agonize over 'Door #1, Door #2, or Door #3?'

The utter joy or crushing pain on the contestant's face that was triggered by the pull back and reveal of what was behind their chosen door was what made the show such a draw for me.  Recently, I started to think about why I was attracted to this very primitive type of proposition... win or lose.  I think it is because, instead of a Roman Emperor giving the thumbs up/thumbs down, or even something as simple as a coin flip, there is at least the illusion of control of destiny.  The 3rd choice, combined with the player themselves being given the choice made it seem more than random chance. 

I think that with many of the decisions we have in our daily lives, it really does turn into 'Door #1, Door #2, or Door #3?', and we kid ourselves that what we choose, no mater how much research we do, how much influence is applied to us by outside forces, that it will make any difference - we still could get the ZOINK!


Sour grapes?  Not really.  To appreciate the good in my life, I have to realize that I have to accept the ZOINKS! as well as the new car.  I have to embrace that I will not always be in control of my fate, that I will make both good and bad choices - regardless of preparation , or lack there of, and that sometimes I will have to choose between 'Door #1, Door #2, or Door #3?'.

The best part is, I still get to choose.

So...



1 comment: